Stop Your Pain With Sioux Falls TMJ Treatment
If you’re bothered by nagging jaw pain, you could have a TMJ disorder. This happens when your temporomandibular joints (TMJ) become inflamed, causing discomfort and affecting your ability to use your jaw. Fortunately, our dentists can relieve your pain with TMJ treatment in Sioux Falls.
They can use a custom-made mouthguard to:
- Prevent you from grinding your teeth, a habit that not only causes jaw pain but can damage your tooth enamel
- Reduce tension in your face, neck, and shoulders
- Lessen the intensity and frequency of headaches caused by TMJ troubles
- Allow you to enjoy a comfortable night’s sleep, with no painful jaw in the morning
Let our team relieve your TMJ pain! Call us today at 605-250-4651 for a consultation.
Prevent Grinding & Clenching With a Custom Mouthguard
If you wake up with your jaw hurting, you are probably clenching your jaw and/or grinding your teeth in your sleep. The strain this puts on your TMJ causes these joints to become irritated and inflamed. It can also affect your ability to use your jaw for eating and other activities. Our dentists can fit you for a custom mouthguard that will:
- Ease your jaw into a position that prevents clenching and grinding
- Relieve pressure to give your jaw a chance to relax and heal
- Fit you perfectly, since it’s made using digital impressions of your teeth
- Prevent damage to your enamel that could require restorative treatment
Avoid Behaviors That Cause TMJ Pain
Grinding isn’t the only habit that puts pressure on your TMJ. You should also avoid biting down on hard substances, including ice and fingernails. While your jaw heals, you’ll want to avoid:
- Opening your mouth wide for activities like singing
- Chewing gum
- Resting your chin in your hand
- Eating hard foods that require lots of chewing
For pain relief, we’ll likely recommend over-the-counter medications like ibuprofen or acetaminophen. You can periodically apply ice to relieve pain and facial swelling.
For TMJ treatment in Sioux Falls, call us today at 605-250-4651 or .