Having a new baby is super exciting, but also kind of exhausting. There is SO much to do. But don’t forget about those cute little teeth that start popping through around 6 months old. We know, we know – they seem so tiny and harmless! But it’s really important to bring your baby to the dentist soon after those first pearly whites emerge.
Sure, taking your baby to ANOTHER doctor appointment seems like overkill when you’re already sleep-deprived and running around to regular checkups. But hear us out – starting good dental habits early makes a huge difference down the road. Cavities and tooth decay are nearly 100 percent preventable. Yet babies get them all the time if their teeth don’t get the proper care.
The American Dental Association recommends bringing your child to the dentist within 6 months of their first tooth coming through – no later than their first birthday. To make an appointment in our Sioux Falls, SD office for this crucial visit, call us today at 605-250-4651.
In the meantime, check out some of the reasons why it’s so important to see a dentist in this time frame:
- Your dentist can spot any oral health issues or abnormalities early and fix them before they become big problems. Things like lip/tongue ties, gum irritation, and teeth growing in crooked are all much easier to treat when caught early.
- We can talk to you about proper brushing technique for infant teeth and how to care for teething pain and swelling. Use a damp washcloth to clean infants’ gums. Pro tip: Chill it if your child is teething, to help soothe their discomfort. When teeth start coming in, switch to a soft-bristled infant toothbrush. Use just a smear of toothpaste, and brush very gently.
- Seeing your dentist regularly from the start gets your child comfortable with dental visits, so they aren’t scared of the dentist later on.
- Fluoride treatments can be started early to help strengthen baby teeth and prevent cavities.
- We’ll give you professional advice about foods and drinks that promote dental health versus those that can cause harm. (Looking at you, juice box!) We’re happy to answer all of your questions about baby’s diet and anything else.
The first dental visit is quick, painless and nothing to stress about. But it IS important. It lays the groundwork for a lifetime of good checkups and healthy teeth. Don’t put it off, for your baby’s smile’s sake.
Call Sioux Falls Smiles today at 605-250-4651 to schedule an appointment to bring your baby to the dentist. You can also .